Tuesday, June 30, 2015

9 Days Paleo

Now that I've gone through most of 9 days on strict-ish paleo, I feel great, energized, and awake.  I checked this morning and I'm down ~5 pounds, but I don't know if that's just water weight.  I feel like I could easily lose another 7, based on my my compression shirts fit.  Still, feeling better is worth it.

Hunger issues are much better the last week.  I was able to make it past the 2-3 PM wall without craving sugar.  Almonds and apples have come in handy, but it's hard to stay full without consuming lots of additional fructose / fat.

Finding paleo foods at lunch is still kind of a challenge, even if it's outright free, much of it is covered in sauces with wheat, dairy, or sugar.  I can have a salad, and there's usually a protein or two that I scrounge up like avocados or hard boiled eggs.  We do have a few pretty paleo salad dressings, which makes the salads much more palatable.  I would bring my own chicken breast, but there are no microwaves anywhere (a downside of having a place that gives you free food.)  At home, we've been eating power supply which is both tasty and useful to have right on hand.

Coffee and tea are rough without milk, and most of the almond milk I can find is laden with sugar or sugar substitutes.  So we've been trying some coconut cream and it's pretty close.  So far, our favorite paleo food has been a coconut cream pie, drizzled with a little lime flavor.  Score!

I haven't seen a significant difference in my workout performance yet, but that may be because the workouts vary so much, and we haven't done any benchmark workouts.  But I am feeling much less soreness than usual.

9 days down, another 23 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment