Saturday, February 15, 2014

Bottling Day

I've had a batch of homebrew beer that I've been fermenting for nearly a month (brewed on the 20th of January) that I got a chance to bottle today.  For those who are beer-savvy, it's a Pliny the Elder clone, and for everyone else, it's one of the more famous very hoppy, 8-9% alcohol IPAs in California.  (For the homebrewers out there, I used this recipe)



The materials for five gallons, roughly ~50 12 ounce beers, were $75, which is pretty exorbitant as homebrews go -- it's usually $30 or so.   If you were to buy that much Pliny in the store, it would be $150 - $175, so I'm obviously making money!

That's all Pliny the Elder

So you may notice that there are four gallons there instead of five, and that's right -- it turns out that this recipe requires a step in the fermentation process that filters out part of the beer, and with this recipe, there's a bunch (a gallon) of gunk that gets filtered out in that process.  With these kinds of beers, you actually have to brew more than your target 5 gallons, which I didn't do.

I'm sure double IPAs are nowhere near healthy, but I can't wait to try this in a week.

Also: Season 2 of House of Cards.  Sooo good.  'Nuff said.

1 comment: