Saturday, February 15, 2014

Valentine's Handstand Day

(I'm posting this one day late because I had it written yesterday and Valentie's day going-out shenanigans prevented me from posting...)

I've never found a good way to get cut roses / flowers home in the car from the store.  If you're lucky, the store wraps them up and you get a top-heavy cone-object that rolls around and falls over when you turn.  The whole package is too big to fit into the cup holder, and if its in the back seat, you can't move it if it falls.  I just end up having to hold them into the passenger seat with one hand while driving with the other.  I've found my next product problem to solve, obviously...

Anyways, in my morning workout today, the programming had us doing handstand pushups, which beyond being the most f'ing impossible thing to do, I find to be one of my personal weaknesses in Crossfit.  And the workout prescribed 60 of them!  Ugh.

So it's supposed to look kind of like this:

   _  |       _ |
    |  |        / |
__|  |        | |
|   o |      o| |

I've had shoulder mobility issues in the past, so putting my arms over and behind my head is pretty tough.  My 'overhead position' looks like my arms are out in front of my face and not back behind my ears, which if you are trying to support your own weight, can be a killer.  So, instead, I have to put multiple pads under my head, and kip my legs straight up in the air, which pulls me off the wall.  Not to mention I can't really kick up onto the wall into a handstand, so I have to kick up into a headstand instead.

All in all, it looks like I kick up into headstand, bring my knees to my chest, and kick straight up, which pushes me off the wall and I fall on my face.  It looks kind of like this:

   _  |    _    |                     |
    |  |      \   |                     |
__|  |      |   |                     |
|   o |      |o |      |--------o |

So I cut the number down to 30 to limit the injury to my pride.  Mixed with heavy deadlifts, it was a blast of a workout :)

I think I'm held back quite a bit by flexibility, and not easily putting my arms back behind my ears in a full locked-out position, which also holds back jerks, overhead squats, etc.  Anyone have good shoulder mobility recommendations?


No comments:

Post a Comment