Wednesday, February 26, 2014

How Not To Send Recruitment Emails

I've got a bit of a rant -- one of many -- that I've had brewing for a while.  Full disclosure: this is probably first-world problem territory.

Like many of you in tech, I get headhunter "poach" emails.  I get that it's someone's job to do this kind of work, and it's probably very hard work, so I try to respond to every one that I can to make their lives easier.  Demanding clients, unresponsive or very rare candidates, high-pressure sales pitches and up-and-down pay probably make it challenging.  Some of the recruiters I've talked to are very nice, well-versed in their trade and in tech, and I would definitely talk to again...so this doesn't apply to all of them.

However, I've received a couple of reach-outs that missed the mark, so to speak.  I thought I would give some pointers on how to completely disinterest anyone from considering their position.  These are some of my own personal experiences that have actually happened...

Not telling me who you're hiring for, even after I ask directly.

I get it, you want to draw people in, make them want to know more, get a commitment to talk about it on the phone, whatever -- but when I ask point blank "who are you hiring for?"  And you don't say who it is in your response, I don't take you seriously.  Good companies with good names that "sell themselves" don't have to be secret or play games -- not saying who it is means it's probably someone who I don't want to work for.  Save us both the time.

Not telling me where the job is located.

Same thing -- If you don't say where it is upfront, it probably means I'd have to uproot my life to move there.

Sending an opportunity for my current level, or lower(!) levels.

If someone is going to leave their current position, and take a risk, why would they take a step down in their career or even 'only' make a lateral move?  I understand that you just typed in the job name into the search box in LinkedIn, but at least consider that you may have to offer something more for me to leave a job where I'm very likely happy.

Asking me if I fit what is obviously a set of contrived, imaginary requirements full of buzzwords.

"Have you innovated using synergy of cross-organization collaboration?  Do you have 12+ years of Big Data experience with Bitcoin?"  You may want to know the space you're recruiting in well enough to know some of these are just complete nonsense.  Also: read my profile.

Not responding to my response.

If I accept your invite or respond back, not responding to my response is a sure fire way to make sure I never take you seriously.  Maybe you filled the position already or something, but why not keep the relationship?  Maybe I'm not that interesting.

Maybe these are all first-world problems, but it just seems to me that it would save us all a lot more time.  What have you all seen?

No comments:

Post a Comment