Friday, February 21, 2014

Tasty IPA Results

I got to try my Pliny the Elder clone that I bottled last weekend, and it turned out pretty well.  It's an estimated ~9% alcohol and has a strong hoppy taste:


The color is about right, and the taste is just about there -- just a little bitter.  I'm pretty sure that it was the hop schedule that made the flavor right -- I've been impressed by the mellowness of the Centennial and Simcoe hops, which I haven't used before...excellent dry hopping varietals.  Anything with two rounds of dry hopping has to have some kick to it.


I did unfortunately manage to get a tiny bit of hops leftovers in the bottom of each bottle, so I have to pour them carefully, but it's a small price to pay for one of the best Imperial IPAs on the planet.  If you are an IPA fan, I highly encourage you to grab a bottle of Pliny the next time you can.

I'm not sure what I'd like to brew next.  Recently, I've done a Pale Ale, a Hefeweizen, and now an Imperial IPA, so maybe I should do a Brown or maybe a Blonde Ale... but with a twist -- maybe like a Honey Brown Ale?

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment