Sunday, March 2, 2014

Filler Words

I'm finding today is a difficult day to come up with some thoughtful ideas.  I thought I'd just write a stream of consciousness that will, in hindsight 20 years from now, seem insightful.

I spotted an article today about public speaking, and this article described the best thing you can do is practice a presentation before you do it -- like, a lot.  This helps you filter out things like "filler words" ("um").  I'm especially terrible at plying many "ums" in my presentations, since often I'm nervous.  Public speaking is one of my own perceived glaring weaknesses, as it were.

But I've found that many of the presentations that I have to give are often last-minute, built-by-committee fraken-decks that have other people's words all over them.  It's impossible to practice these without time and without the freedom to say what I want to.   If it were entirely my work and I had more than a day to practice, I'm sure I'd be a lot better at it.

Maybe my next 30 days' challenge will be working on my public speaking?


No comments:

Post a Comment