Thursday, March 6, 2014

14.2 wow

So the 14.2 open workout is posted, and I'm watching the two beasts duke it out on the YouTube livestream.  It's freaking impressive.

It's an evil workout:  an increasing 95# overhead squat / c2b pullup couplet with fixed 3 minute rounds.  So any time left in each 3 minute round is rest, but the reps go from 10/10 x 2 to 12/12, 14/14, etc.

It's pretty clear that the kicker here is the rest time.  The strategy is either to go super hard on the movements and maximize rest or stay even throughout the movements.  For beast mode athletes, they are definitely going the former, but for us mere mortals, we'll have to go even throughout to not burn out.  Watching the two top athletes do this, the limiting factor looks to be the pullups, where the arms just burn out or you rip.   (320 reps is crazy good)

After being humbled in the first open workout, I'm hoping that I can get through 14.2 with 2.5 rounds, or 116 reps.  I'm going to split up the pullups to make sure I don't burn out.  I'm strong on the overhead squats (regularly squatting over 300 makes 95# look...relieving), so I'm not too worried about those.

Tonight, I'm going to work on my shoulder mobility and try to get the system ready to go for this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment